According to the Value Added Tax Law, investment gold is:
- gold in the form of bars or slabs of a weight accepted by the gold markets and of a purity equal to or greater than 995 thousandths;
- gold coins determined by an order of the Governor of the Bulgarian National Bank and the Minister of Finance, for which the following conditions are met simultaneously:
- their purity is equal to or greater than 900 thousandths;
- cut after 1800;
- were or are legal tender in the country of origin;
- they are usually sold at a price that does not exceed the value of gold at market prices, contained in the coins more than 80 percent.
In short, these are coins and bars with a high gold standard (over 90.0%) and a standard shape, the price of which is close to the stock exchange price of gold in them. These coins and bars are a common investment tool worldwide. They are exempt from VAT.